Israel extends Palestinian boy’s detention period December 13, 2017 at 11:59 pm | Published in: Asia & Americas , Israel , Middle East , News , Palestine , US Israeli security forces take positions outside the Israeli-run Ofer prison, in the West Bank city [Shadi Hatem/Apaimages] December 13, 2017 at 11:59 pm Israel extended the detention period of a 16-year-old who became the symbol of protests against a US decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital.
Fawzi al-Juneidi will remain in prison until Monday, when he will face an initial hearing at an Israeli military court and formal charges Wednesday.
Last Thursday, al-Juneidi was repeatedly beaten, kicked and draged on the ground by Israeli soldiers in the West Bank city of Hebron.
He was later blindfolded before being whisked off to Israel’s Ofer Military Prison.
The boy was accused of “throwing rocks at soldiers”, his uncle, Rashad al-Juneidi, told Anadolu Agency following a court hearing at the prison.
Read More: Elderly Palestinian woman dies of heart attack during Israel raid
“My nephew rejected the prosecutor’s claim that he had thrown stones at Israeli soldiers. He said he went out to meet some of his family’s needs and got stuck in the middle of the scene, “said Rashad.
“He even pointed out that a large number of soldiers swooped on him and blindfolded him while he was trying to escape from the sound bombs and the scene.”
The teenager became widely recognized after his photo went viral on social media.
Al-Juneidi’s arrest comes at a time when the occupied Palestinian territories are witnessing protests against last week’s decision by US President Donald Trump to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital and the announcement of plans to move the US embassy from Tel Aviv to the contested city.
Categories Asia & Americas Israel Middle East News Palestine US